October 13, 2020 | 10:46am | Updated October 13, 2020 | 11:47am
Cristiano Ronaldo, one of the world’s most popular and accomplished soccer stars, has tested positive for COVID-19, the Portuguese soccer federation said Tuesday.
Ronaldo, 35, has no symptoms and is “doing well,” according to the federation. He has left the Portuguese national team as it prepares for a Nations League match against Sweden on Wednesday and is isolating.
The Juventus star posted a photo to Twitter Monday night of himself eating dinner with his teammates. He played in Portugal’s Nations League match against France on Sunday.
Two of Ronaldo’s Portugal teammates, Jose Fonte and Anthony Lopes, recently tested positive for coronavirus.
“We are the most tested people and we have the guarantee that everyone who will be traveling to France with us are negative,” Portugal coach Fernando Santos said before Sunday’s game.
The entire Juventus team was in isolation last week after two staff members tested positive. Ronaldo and other players selected for national-team duty left isolation to play for their respective countries.
Ronaldo is in his third season with Juventus after nine seasons with Real Madrid and six seasons with Manchester United. Juventus is set to return to Italian Serie A action on Saturday against Crotone before a UEFA Champions League match next Tuesday against Dynamo Kyiv.